Friday, March 20, 2009

Vendor Series Interview No. 2 Flora Fauna

Flora Fauna is a wonderful floral and event design studio in North Yarmouth, Maine. We had the pleasure of working with Judy and her team last February at the Retreat at French's Point for the wedding of RFP's owner, Jessika Brooks. What creativity and attention to detail as you will see in the following images. Enjoy the interview!

www.florafaunaweddings.com

Judy Bourgeois









KP: What is your favorite part of the wedding process?
JB The big reveal......seeing the bride and grooms reaction to the finished product.....

KP: What do you love most about your job in the wedding industry?
JB: I am like a kid in the candy shop when I go to market to get flowers....just smelling it, touching them.......and yes I kiss all my blooms!

KP: What is the biggest misconception about your industry?
JB: Brides are always asking what flowers are "in season" to help save money on their flower budget....I hear that quite a bit. Being a florist in Maine, we have a very short "season". Most all flowers are flown in from all over the world and available year round (minus a few favorites like Peonies and Lily of the Valley). If you want to save money on flowers looking for "local flowers" may help. For us here in Maine, that is very limited due to our short season.


KP: How did you get into the wedding industry?
JB: by accident.....always had a garden and brought flowers to every dinner party....friend asked to do her wedding and it was photographed by Jamie Bloomquist...he put my stuff up on his wedding website and the snowball began.....


KP: Tell me one wedding vendor other than in your industry you highly recommend? Why?
JB: Emilie, Inc...I love her style of photography and her personality....makes me whistle while I work to have good vendors around me......


KP: Tell me one wedding vendor in your industry you highly recommend? Why?
JB: Alda Stich....she has such beautiful blooms...I would die for all the gardenias she grows in her greenhouse! (sadly she won't sell them to me)


KP: Favorite wedding story- funny or serious.
JB: I went to deliver boutnieres to the groom's party and the groom answered the door in his boxers.......he couldn't find his pants so I helped them look for the pants....which we never found.....used the best man's pants....two sizes to small.......

KP: What other part of the industry would you not want to work in? Why?
JB: I would not want to be the chef.....have been there and done that! way to much pressure.


KP: What differentiates you from the rest of your industry peers?
JB: I was an elementary school teacher for 12 years before I did the job.......my intuition and keen assessment of situations helps me to understand brides even when they don't know what they want or are overwelmed by the details of a wedding...most of my brides will say....."that is exactly what I wanted..." or family members will say "she knows you so well......that is so you!"

No comments: