Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Vendor Series Interview No. 9, Patrick McNamara Photography

My husband Ryan has had the pleasure of working with Patrick many times over the years and he always has the nicest things to say about him when he comes home from a wedding. You will see from his images that he is very talented and truly enjoys photographing weddings. Take a look at his work and enjoy the interview!

Patrick McNamara




Patrick McNamara Photography












KP: What is your favorite part of the wedding process?

PM: I love the whole experience, but if you had to nail me down to one particular thing... It would have to be the "getting ready" moments. The energy is so genuine and unrehearsed. Anticipation, suspense, camaraderie, and excitement... they almost always end up being my favorite shots.


KP: What do you love most about your job in the wedding industry?

PN: I make a living being creative and making people happy, what more could a visual artist ask for?


KP: What is the biggest misconception about your industry?

PM: That digital photography has made our lives (as photographers) easier. Digital photography is fantastic and I fully embrace the technology. It does however; require frequent upgrading of equipment, software and your precious time. Most photographers will spend more time on the computer for each wedding then they did during the entire day of shooting. Just ask my very patient wife and children during the wedding season.


KP: How did you get into the wedding industry?

PN: I actually owe a debt of gratitude to Jennifer Lewis-McShera, the Wedding Consultant at Clay Hill Farm Restaurant. I had just moved back to Maine after living and working in Manhattan, shooting Advertising and Corporate work. Jen is a great friend and asked if I had any desire to shoot weddings at Clay Hill. I said "sure, why not" and the whole thing just completely snowballed from there. Thanks Jennifer!


KP: Tell me one wedding vendor other than in your industry you highly recommend? Why?

PN: I've always been impressed with the work I see from Joanne McDonough of Joya Beauty. She is so skilled at reading a brides face and enhancing her natural attributes. Never heavy handed... just nicely balanced and a joy to photograph. She also has a very calming presence about her that I think is particularly helpful for the bride during those jittery moments before the ceremony. Joanne, you're so ZEN!



KP: Tell me one wedding vendor in your industry you highly recommend? Why?

PN: All right Kate, I will resist the all too easy opportunity to plug my Associate Photographer here and give you what I think you are really looking for. When we are both booked, there are three or four names that I constantly suggest. They are all worthy of mention, but since I can only pick one, today I choose Nadra Edgerley. I love her eye and I admire her constant effort to push herself to grow as a photographer. Her work is always evolving but she maintains that devotion to timeless imagery and not the trendy use of the latest set of Photoshop Actions. It doesn't hurt that she's just a fun person to hang out with too!


KP: Favorite wedding story- funny or serious

PN: Last year, I had a bride approach me about shooting her June wedding. She basically told (not asked) me "You are going to shoot my wedding"! She had been looking at my website for a year or more and heard "nothing but great things" she told me. Every time I tried to discuss packages and pricing, she wouldn't here of it, she said, "Just do what you do and let me know how much of a check you need and when, I totally trust you". She was a breakfast waitress at a local restaurant and paying for everything herself. I know for a fact that a big portion of her wedding budget was spent on my services. She had so much faith in me and was so sure that my photography was going to be amazing and kept saying how lucky she was to have me booked for her date. As the date got closer, I started getting nervous thinking, what If I don't amaze her? She has so much faith and trust in me, what if I let her down? I never get nervous before a wedding but this time, I had the dream client who truly loved my work and now I'm getting sweaty palms over it. We did get great results and it all worked out wonderfully of course, but it's just another reminder of why I love this job. People aren't just hiring us; they are trusting us with an important part of their personal history.


KP: What other part of the industry would you not want to work in? Why?

PN: Anything to do with perishable goods! I can't imagine being a Cake maker and having my hard work and artistry sabotaged by something random like a broken car air conditioner on a 100 degree day or not seeing a speed bump in the rain. I've seen florists in a frenzied state, scrambling so there flowers wouldn't flash freeze while rushing them into their van on a bitter January day. No thanks... I'll stick with making pretty pictures.


KP: What differentiates you from the rest of your industry peers?

PN: I'm kind of unique in that I have such a diverse background in the photography industry. In my twenty plus years of shooting, I've worked for a newspaper, shot corporate Annual Reports, had national and regional advertisements as well as editorial pieces for major publications. All of this took place before the days of looking at the back of your camera to see if you got the shot. You really had to hone your skills and know your craft before you could call yourself a Pro. Sadly, much of that has been lost in the current digital wedding industry. I tell everyone I meet with to do their research with whomever they are looking at and ultimately, to trust their instincts when making a final decision.

4 comments:

Tom Tucker said...

We have booked Patrick for our June wedding, and we are VERY confident in our selection. He knew our venue, he knew our DJ/Caterer/Florist, and we love his photos!

Hazel Donovan said...

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward to your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!
cash for cars brisbane
cash for cars ipswich

Delight Car Removal said...

Thanks for sharing. Wow, that was strange. I just wrote a really long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't show up. Grrrr... well, I'm not writing all that over again. Anyways, just wanted to say fantastic blog!
cash for scrap cars brisbane
cash for scrap cars beenleigh

veerediwedding said...

We Offers All Types Of Affordable Luxury Cars On Rent For Wedding, Marriage, Roka, Doli, Shadi, Family Events, Sagun, Honeymoon Tours etc.
if you need more information visit our website.
best luxury car rental in Chandigarh
luxury car rental in Chandigarh