Sunday, April 5, 2009

Vendor Series Interview No. 8, Laura Novak Photography

Although I haven't had the pleasure of working with Laura Novak, her images just spoke to me about the simple beauty of weddings. Based in Wilmington, Deleware, Laura travels across the country and beyond to shoot weddings. Check out her website and enjoy the interview!


Laura Novak Photography


Laura Novak and her amazing team!




Some examples of her beautiful work










KP: What is your favorite part of the wedding process?

LN: I think just getting to know each of my clients and their stories. I am constantly inspired by how to people grow to love one another, and the decision to spend the rests of their lives together.


KP: What do you love most about your job in the wedding industry?

LN: I love seeing a couple's individuality show at their wedding, from the fun details to the dress a bride chooses. I think a wedding is the first time that a couple says "this is who we are" with their tastes and preferences. It's a special process and each wedding has it's own unique fingerprint as a result.


KP: What is the biggest misconception about your industry?

LN: It's probably regarding pricing - that you pay X amount for a photographer to show up for the day. What a lot of people may not realize that that they are investing in a 2 year process, from signing the contract to the engagement session, products ordered, customer service, pre-wedding consultations/advice, wedding day coverage, post wedding production and service, and parent communication. It's a large investment on both the part of the client as well as the photographer.


KP: How did you get into the wedding industry?

LN: I assisted a wedding photographer for fun in college, while living in Boston. I fell in love with being part of weddings and having the honor ofbeing present with a camera.


KP: Tell me one wedding vendor other than in your industry you highly
recommend? Why?

LN: I always recommend a lighting designer - the best one in Philadelphia being Eventions Productions. I think that if you have a certain budget set aside for decor, it's worth considering placing a portion towards lighting. Nothing beats walking into a beautifully lit room.

KP: Tell me one wedding vendor in your industry you highly recommend? Why?

LN: I love the work of my own wedding photographer, Anna Kuperberg. She is very creative and her work has a great sense of humor and is wonderful at telling stories of relationships through imagery.


KP: Favorite wedding story- funny or serious

LN: Not sure if it's my favorite but it's pretty funny and makes a good story. I was photographing a wedding a few years ago in Carmel, California when this guy in the ceremony crowd looks really familiar to me. I think it's no big deal, that he must have been at a previous wedding I photographed and then I realize he's really staring at me for a long time. After the ceremony ends he walks up to me and addresses me by my maiden name. It was then I realized I went to junior prom with him my freshman year of high school! He went to college with the groom. It was a big joke amongst the guys for the rest of the evening. I'm from Massachusetts so it was pretty hilarious to not see him for 12 years and then run into him while working a wedding in California.


KP: What other part of the industry would you not want to work in? Why?

LN: Wedding coordination - it just takes a special level of patience that I'm not sure I have. When conflict arises, I can hide behind my camera!


KP: What differentiates you from the rest of your industry peers?

LN: I think that there is a lot of emphasis on trash the dress, high fashion, cutting edge trends in the industry and I still love a classic beautiful portrait and a well composed moment captured. To me, wedding photography should be timeless... And I believe a great moment composed beautifully with stunning lighting will never go out of style.

No comments: